The committee and school district are working to align the educational curriculum with the demands of current and future Richardson employers, in an effort to sustain a long-term workforce that will fill industry’s needs and help grow the business community.
The Education and Workforce Committee has recently expanded its strategic plan’s focus from sole support of the district and educational institutions, to researching and developing ways that Chamber member businesses can provide tangible support of the curriculum.
The committee has also worked with the school district to identify specific opportunities that will help teachers prepare their students for the workforce, which include:
- Opportunities for both students and teachers to receive exposure and training in industry best practices
- Internship opportunities for both teachers and students to gain hands-on experience
- Professional development opportunities for teachers to continue to learn and keep their certifications up-to-date
- Funding for new equipment
- Active educational roles, through which industry leaders can serve as adjunct professors and teach classes about a specific industry or business
Today, we are seeking businesses in various industries to partner with us and turn these opportunities into a reality. We need a range of corporate partners from small, entrepreneurial start-ups to thriving growth-stage companies and large, well-established national/global firms.
The above initiatives are great ways to get involved, help students build skills that will make them workforce-ready and sustain our robust business climate for years to come.
I strongly encourage you to visit our web page on www.richardsonchamber.com and contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about how your business can get engaged.
Camille Garcia is the public affairs senior manager of State Farm and a tri-chair of the Richardson Chamber’s Education and Workforce Committee. “From the Boardroom” is a recurring guest column featuring viewpoints from Richardson business and civic leaders, produced in cooperation with the Chamber.